Home

 
Summer is just around the corner but in Florida summer begins sometime in April to my thinking! Even so, enjoy the beaches now because they will be less crowded as our northern visitors and vacationers are away. Things have slowed down so I hope you’ll have time to relax and enjoy the amenities where we live.

The June celebrations presented are of special interest because they sparked something when I came across them: for the nerdy mathematician in me (Flip a Coin Day), for sparking much needed patriotism (Flag Day), for beauty in the world and Florida (International Waterfall Day), for safety (Lightning Safety Awareness Week), and finally for a day originated in Florida (National Sea Shell Day). Enjoy your summer reading! Yes, you can take it to the beach.
 
Flip a Coin Day

Celebrated on June 1, Flip a Coin Day highlights the history and significance of coin tosses. Coin flips have been used to make vital decisions for centuries dating back to Julius Caesar who flipped a coin when the right choice was unclear. His image on the coin was the head side VS the ship side and a coin flipping game “Navia aut caput” 
       
developed in ancient Rome. In the US, a game Indian or Wheat was named after the two sides of an Indian Head penny. But how fair and accurate is a coin toss? According to a study, a flipped coin landed with the same side facing upward as before the toss 50.8 percent of the time. Large number of throws allowed statisticians to conclude that a 1% bias is real! Under perfect conditions, mathematical logic says the probability of getting either heads or tails is 50%, an equal chance for each result. However, a flipped coin has a 50.8 per cent chance of landing on the same side up as when it was flipped, and a 49.2 per cent chance of landing the other side up. Studies in the US have shown that the head side of a coin is slightly heavier adding an advantage to one side or the other. So… A coin toss is not exactly fair!
 
Flag Day 
 
Flag Day, celebrated on June 14 falls within National Flag Week and was established in 1916 by President Woodrow Wilson. Flag Day honors our American flag, nicknamed “Old Glory” commemorating June 14, 1777 when the Continental Congress approved the design of the first national flag, the Stars and Stripes. In 1949, President 
 
Harry Truman signed legislation to ensure annual observance of this day. Our flag consists of thirteen equal horizontal stripes of red (valor and hardness) alternated with white (purity and innocence) and a blue (vigilance, perseverance and justice) canton containing the 50 five-pointed white stars representing each state in our union. The 13 stripes represent the thirteen British colonies that declared independence from Great Britain. Francis Hopkinson a delegate from New Jersey and signer of the Declaration of Independence not Betsy Ross is credited with creating this design. Although not an official federal holiday, the US president traditionally proclaims this annual observance. Many towns and cities hold parades and events to celebrate the flag, and the colors are flown on all government buildings. It is a day when Americans reflect on our nation’s freedom and reaffirm their belief in liberty and justice and loyalty to our country.
 
International Waterfall Day
                 
 
International Waterfall Day honors the captivating beauty of a cascade of water falling through the sky on June 16th. 
Waterfalls symbolize letting go, cleansing, and the continuous flow of energy and life. Waterfalls make us happy due to the negative ions released by the falling water and the wearing away of the rocks and minerals at the waterfall's base. Inhaling negative ions cause biochemical reactions that increase serotonin levels, improving mood while reducing stress and anxiety. The sound of running water aids in diminishing depression, increasing mental clarity, emotional stability, and an overall sense of well-being. Waterfalls are magical creations of nature. I just LOVE them!!!!
 
Undoubtedly one of most famous waterfalls in the world, Niagara Falls sits on the border between the United States and Canada meaning that the thundering attraction can be viewed from either country. The tallest uninterrupted waterfall, at the height of 3,200 feet, Angel Falls in Venezuela is the largest waterfall in the world. Guess what… there are six natural waterfalls in Florida: Big Shoals, White Springs, Devil's Millhopper Falls, Gainesville, Falling Creek Falls, and Lake City. Falling Waters State Park is the only place in Florida where visitors can see a 70-foot-tall waterfall! When there is sufficient rainfall, surface water cascades over the rim of a large, circular depression before disappearing into a cave. For more information, click the links:
https://www.floridastateparks.org/learn/experience-waterfall                    https://floridahikes.com/tag/waterfalls 
 
 
Lightning Safety Awareness Week June 16-22
 
National Lightning Safety Awareness Week started in 2001 to call attention to lightning, the underrated killer. It must have worked because since 2001, U.S. lightning fatalities have dropped from about 55 per year to less than 30. Florida is considered the “lightning capital” of the country, with more
 
than 2,000 lightning injuries over the past 50 years. In 2022, Florida had the most lightning deaths. The odds of being struck by lightning each year are less than 1 in a million. Lightning most often strikes people who work outside or engage in outdoor recreational activities. Being outside when 
lightning is present is dangerous and the consequences of a lightning strike can be fatal. 
If caught outdoors, seek a non-metallic, non-concrete enclosed shelter or a nonconvertible car with all windows and sun roofs closed. Lightning tends to strike the tallest object around so stay away from isolated trees and poles and get off elevated ground such as cliffs or hills. Do not lie flat on the ground. Crouching can reduce your contact with the ground. A group should separate from each other to reduce the number of injuries if lightning strikes the ground. Get out of and away from all bodies of water. About one-third of lightning-strike injuries occur indoors so being indoors does not always protect you. Since lightning can travel through plumbing, electrical systems, metal wires or bars in concrete walls or flooring, do NOT bathe, shower, wash dishes, or have any other contact with water, use anything connected to an electrical outlet, (radio, TV, phone, computers, laptops, game systems, washers, dryers, or stoves), lie on concrete floors or lean on concrete walls. However, cordless or cellular phones are safe to use during a storm.
When Thunder Roars, Go and Stay Indoors!
 
National Sea Shell Day
 
Celebrated annually on June 21, National Sea Shell Day was created in 2016 and promoted by “The Beaches of St. Myers and Sanibel”. Although no presidential proclamation or any U.S. Congress documentation supports this as a U.S. “National” day, since it originated in our own backyard, I thought you would like to add this to your repertoire of fun days! The first day of summer is definitely time to feel the warm sand and saltwater on your toes, as you collect gifts from the sea as you walk along one of our local beaches. To avoid soaking up too much sun, hunt for seashells at first light when seashells from the night before are most plentiful. The best time to search for seashells is from an hour before to an hour after low tide along the high tide mark.
 
What’s your favorite seashell?
 
 

Many thanks to the talented James Matiya for providing our banner photos!
Call for 2025 EEC Volunteers
Please login to view this area.
FILM CLUB Details!
Please login to view this area.
Save the Date
Ladies Who Lunch
May 29th
Fabulous Friday
Jun 14th
Destination Brunch
Jun 30th
Happening Next
Bridge—Experienced Players
Tuesday, May 21st
1pm to 4pm
Mah Jongg - Experienced
Wednesday, May 22nd
1pm to 4pm
Bridge—Experienced Players
Tuesday, May 28th
1pm to 4pm
Mah Jongg - Experienced
Wednesday, May 29th
1pm to 4pm
Yarn and Chat
Monday, June 3rd
1pm to 3pm
EEC Mission and Implementation
Mission
The Estero Encore Club was established in 2010 for women who have completed 4 years as members of the Estero Newcomers Club. Our mission is to continue to provide opportunities to develop friendships, enjoy planned activities, learn more about our community, and offer ways to give back to that community.
 
Mission Implementation
The responsibility of the Estero Encore Club Board (EECB) is to support the sitting President and the other elected members of the Executive Board who all serve as members of the EECB. As part of that responsibility, the EECB  serves as advocates of the club. The EECB represents the total membership, and the EECB's function is to consider the suggestions of all members, by reaching a consensus when jointly making decisions based upon the Estero Encore Club’s mission statement and supporting the good of the entire organization.
Club Address
Estero Encore Club
PO Box 627
Estero FL 33929
Sister Club—Estero Newcomers
*If you are not an Estero Encore Club member, but are looking for women's social opportunities, please know that our membership is limited to those who have moved up from our sister organization—Estero Newcomers Club. To learn more about them, click: Estero Newcomers Club.
Encore Membership Status
Please login to view this area.